[FT] (no subject)

William F Rushby wfrushby at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 10:03:40 PST 2011

Hello, Lee!

Your question wasn't directed at me, but I have a thing or two to say.

I think that you should be in touch with Geoff Gilmore of Little Falls NY.  He and his wife Luvy (Lou-vee) publish *Friends Community News*, in the interests of unprogrammed Christian Friends.  He should be able to help you network with Christian Friends in NYS.  Outside relationships and resources will prove to be valuable resources for your effort.

If I were attempting to start a new fellowship, I would begin with a Bible study (without any heavy hidden agenda).  Seekers might respond to this, or so I imagine, more than to announcements of a new meeting.  It would provide opportunities to establish friendship ties, and to share spiritual journeys.  Part of your sharing would, naturally, lead to sharing your Quaker faith, without trying to push anyone in this direction.

Over time there tends to be a "shakedown" in such a group, leading to a more specific purpose or direction.  Control almost invariably becomes a central issue.  This often spells the end of new fellowships.  It is important to avoid becoming "the owner" of the new group!  Never assume that the group will head exactly where you wish it would; this usually doesn't happen.  "Let go, and let God."

I am anxious to hear what others on F-T have to say.

Bill Rushby