[FT] Thanksgiving

William F Rushby wfrushby at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 05:21:39 PST 2011

Andrew Little wrote "speaking out of curiosity from a non-American perspective, could we perhaps have one or two contributions on Friends views and contribution or otherwise to Thanksgiving?"

I don't have any profound answers to Andrew's question, but I recall from many years ago, when I was single,  that I typically spent Thanksgiving with the Kenneth and Lillian Doudna family and the Friends of Chestnut Ridge Meeting, of rural Barnesville OH.

Following the old Conservative Quaker practice, Chestnut Ridge met twice a week for worship, on Sunday and Thursday mornings.  This meant that they invariably held meeting on Thanksgiving, which was always a blessed time. How often I wish that I could have that experience again, now with my wife who longs for old-time Quaker worship!