[FT] Kuenning's claims RE Freiday's rendering of Barclay's Apology

David E Nagle davnagle at juno.com
Tue Oct 19 20:20:58 PDT 2010

First let me say that I have not done an analysis of each point where
Larry K. thinks Dean Freiday went astray, not have I read either edition
clear through recently.  However, I do find validity in his assertions.
>From my perspective Larry K overstates the case, but to me it is clear
that dean Freiday in seeking to modernize the language also modernized
some of the concepts to a point where Barclay might not entirely
recognize them.  On the whole, the modern English edition renders a
valuable service in making Barclay's propositions come alive for today's
readers.  But Larry is right that for 100% accuracy one should look to
the original.
I keep a copy of each and have given away copies of both. That's my two
cents.

David E. Nagle
Shawnee, OK