[FT] Immigration: What Does the Bible Say?

Julia jewen at micronetsystems.net
Sat Jun 5 12:35:08 PDT 2010

Atlanta Friends Meeting's Bible Study Group has just completed about a year's intensive study of Matthew, and we have found that book is quite Jewish in its understanding of who Jesus is. Jesus himself says he came not to destroy or put aside the Law and the Prophets but to fulfill them. His teaching methods ("you have heard it said...but I say to you" are typical of rabbis' teaching methods). Matthew's view is that Usurpers occupy the Judean throne and the Sanhedrin, and that once the Rightful King (God) rules the country, through the living presence of His Son, peace and justice will be restored. The character of the king determines the degree of righteousness practiced by the people, and the degree of righteousness practiced by the people devolves upon them the degree of righteousness in their government that they are demonstrating they really want. What Jesus preached and taught came straight out of the Old Testament. So if we want to understand the "New" Covenant, we need to understand the "old" one and the history that produced the "new" one, for they are really one and the same. God does not change and neither does his Law (Love). The particulars of how it is applied in the context of the times and culture do change--but the principles remain the same.

What I would like for Friends to help me with here is to look at passages in both the OT and the NT and see how in the context of our present culture and challenges the principles contained therein can help us in discerning our way.

Julia