[FT] Immigration: What Does the Bible Say?

Julia jewen at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 5 04:06:45 PDT 2010

Arizona has been on the hot seat at the center of the national debate about undocumented immigrants, and according to today's NY Times, it looks like immigration will be the hot button in the political races in California this year.  I wonder what Friends' perspectives might be?

How do we apply our principles of simplicity, peace, integrity, community and equality to this problem? And what does the Bible have to say that might help us in our discernment? In particular, I am wondering about passages concerning welcoming the stranger, and how resident aliens among God's People are to be treated.

We hear a lot about what sort of rules ought to apply to resident foreigners, both documented and undocumented. If we are a "nation under God", what "rules" apply to our actions?

Julia Ewen
Atlanta Friends Meeting