[FT] Address by Irish Quaker Missionary Physician

Joe Ginder joe.ginder at lbfc.org
Tue Oct 27 12:08:42 PDT 2009

Well, Larry, not to be disagreeable, but I've heard that quote from you
before.  That's what you say when you have no evidence to present that
things actually are wrong-headed in the way you suggested - when you're left
with only your presuppositions.  What started this discussion was the
question of whether or not there was some territoriality principle among
Quakers that made it somehow less than proper for EFI missionaries to be in
Ireland.  I said a qualified "no" while agreeing that your cautions are
worthwhile, if not particularly germane to the question.

God is moving across the face of history in his creation, and neither Oliver
Cromwell nor the citizens of Edinburgh could stop him or in the end claim to
have been as aligned with him as they thought they might be.  Humans attempt
to "use" God all the time.  I do note and appreciate your usual irony in
presenting words like this from the mouth of a Cromwell.  It's just that
there's not a parallel affront to Irish Friends by EFI missionaries.  I'd
venture a guess that the alignment of either party in the discussion could
stand some trimming.  And may the trimming begin.

--Joe Ginder