[FT] Fw: On-line Bible Study: What About Government?

John Redman johnredman at bikerider.com
Sun Jan 4 20:59:57 PST 2009

 Dear Friends,

As always, I have been unclear in my 'leading'. What I MEANY to condemn
as evil was coercive government. The government of Friends, as far as I
know, is voluntary. With the case of 'reading out', well, the read out
parties might feel offended but they are not harmed. Violence is the
difference between evil earthly Governments and the Lions Club. A certain
Cape Cod Meeting (E. Sandwich) HAS called the police, invoking violence,
and I pray for their souls for that sin and NEYM is still suffering from
that episode 3 years later. Living IN this world but not OF this world is
a huge challenge and I'm not in agreement that Merton (who was
electrocuted by a faulty fan) managed that completely, either. Wendell
Barry, in The Long-Legged House, writes around the simple premise of
making oneself obedient to ones own conscience. I can say no more.

John