[FT] The fifth commandment [was RE: Virgin Birth]

Jose A. Fernandez jaf at kuriake.com
Sun Nov 6 12:01:26 PST 2005

Is there an authoritative (or at least well done) work on the meanings
and nuances of the fifth commandment:

    Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the
    land of the LORD your God is giving you.
        -- Exodus 20:12, NIV

Merriam-Webster Online defines honor as:

    1. a good name or public esteem
    2. privilege
    3. a person of superior standing
    4. one whose worth brings respect or fame
    5. the center point of the upper half of an armorial escutcheon
    6. an evidence or symbol of distinction
    7. chastity, purity
    8. <integrity>
    9. social courtesies or civilities extended by a host
    10. <certain playing cards>

Merriam-Webster's aren't very satisfying, and actual practice is even
less satisfying.  Some practice honor through obedience.  Some pratice
honor by public promotion or support.  Some practice honor by saying
nice things.  In this spectrum of practices, one can honor one's parents
by saying nice things about them while not obeying a single word.

What does "honor" really mean?

I am extremely skeptical of the notion I do not have to honor my parents
if their advice and example are an obstacle to God's will.  The fifth
commandment does not include conditions.